Gautham Pallapa, Ph. D.
Director of Information Services at West Corporation
Proven Lean Six Sigma Black Belt leader with over 10 years of experience in Strategic Innovation, Product Management and Delivery, Process Optimization, Enterprise Architecture, and Technology Integration.
- Leader – Built and matured two functional groups into centers of excellence within 12 months with an overall efficiency increase of 18%, increasing group satisfaction by 44%, and net promoter score by 27 points
- Strategist – Developed roadmaps and strategies for 5 functional groups with themes of Maturity, Acceleration and Value, implemented tactical approaches to achieve success within identified timelines
- Builder – As a Product Innovator, designed and led development of several intuitive, user-friendly products with emphasis on continuous delivery, continuous integration, rework reduction in SDLC
- Architect – Designed and implemented all business workflows for an entire business unit integrating with disparate legacy enterprise systems, and decommissioning older technologies. Increased visibility into work in progress, reduced technical debt and maintenance cost.
WEST INTERACTIVE CORPORATION, Omaha, Nebraska (2014 – Current)
Director of Information Services
Reporting to the SVP of Operations of a $300M business unit, oversee product strategy, requirements, design, architecture, process definition, resourcing, development, and delivery of several enterprise products and platforms. Direct and drive efficiencies for a staff of 64 resources, 5 managers distributed over 3 geographic locations, and 2 lab data centers.
Transformed a CMM 1 organization into a CMM 4 organization to improve predictability, quality, and operational effectiveness by integrating functional groups (requirements, design, engineering, product management, testing and customer support), and implementing optimal workflows and visibility into work in progress. Reduced operating expenditure by 38% and schedule variance on 23 products to < 12%.
Leading several company-wide strategic initiatives to aggregate all business workflows into JIRA and Confluence, decommissioning legacy systems, and integrating with other enterprise technologies, saving $2.8M in annual expenditure, licensing costs, while reducing overall technical debt.
- Standardized work, artifacts, and processes for 5 functional groups, reducing operational expenditure by $1,100,000+ per year
- Within 12 months, dramatically improved due diligence and leadership, efficiency by 34% for a poorly-performing acquisition
- Implemented DevOps, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Delivery processes reducing time to market of 6 products by ~46% (5-week reduction)
WEST INTERACTIVE CORPORATION, Omaha, Nebraska (2010 – 2014)
Manager of Information Systems
Managed and led a team dedicated to system analysis, platform health, capacity ratings, and performance metrics for Enterprise grade platforms and products.
- Technologies used: Python with Django, Locust.io, Jenkins, JIRA, Splunk, Nagios, Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana, Chef, Ansible, SIP tools, D3.js, Neo4j, Orient DB, performance monitoring tools
Designed and led development of several Enterprise level integration and performance frameworks for shared platforms and products (Python based development with open-source technology integrations).
Was a Research & Development lead focused on business process optimization. Architected and designed 4 applications with an average ROI of 3 months, which eliminated up to 45% overall process waste in several processes in the software development life cycle.
- As the lead engineer, designed, architected and developed a system analysis framework in python using Jenkins for continuous integration, Elasticsearch + Logstash + Kibana (ELK stack) for reporting, and Nagios for monitoring, reducing overall time to market for 12 platforms and products by 65%, saving over $635,000 in operational expenditure
- Within 8 months, mapped the capacity ratings and performance metrics for 14 platforms/products with 85% systemic approaches for capture
- Three Employee of the Quarter awards. Nominated for Employee of the Year – 2012.
- Keynote speaker at PKI Institute, UNO, other collaborations with research community.
- Three Employee of the Quarter nominations and two runner ups on team for 2013.
- Spearheading several company-wide initiatives with focus on improved ROI and shared toolsets.
CISCO SYSTEMS, Richardson, Texas (2008 – 2009)
Analyzed, designed, and developed applications focused on implementation and validation of software and hardware stacks.
Worked with geographically distributed teams to develop VoIP automation frameworks for validating several Cisco telephony products.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT ARLINGTON, Arlington, Texas (2004 – 2009)
Researcher, Project Lead, Principal Investigator
- Head of the Mobile, Ubiquitous and Grid Computing group at the Center for Excellence in Wireless Mobility and Networking (CReWMaN)
- Project lead, architect on Middleware for Smart Homes and Smart Home Monitoring System projects.
- Awarded Best Student Paper at the International Workshop on Mobile and Ubiquitous Context Aware Systems and Applications (MUBICA) in 2007.
- Secured the prestigious Hermann’s Doctoral Fellowship for academic excellence.
- Built a context-aware Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) for Smart Home environments.
- Developed and implemented advanced novel schemes for behavioral learning and prediction frameworks.
M.S. RAMAIAH INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Bangalore, India (2003 – 2004)
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Instructed students in Computer Networks and Architecture, Mobile Pervasive Computing, Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, Advanced Computer Networks, Linux Proficiency, Computer Graphics, Microprocessors, and Sensor Networks courses.
- Founder of a Linux Users’ Group for IT professionals and students. Conducted several courses for various levels of Linux proficiency. Keynote speaker and chair for several symposia.
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT ARLINGTON, Arlington, Texas
Doctor of Philosophy, Computer Science, 2010
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU UNIVERSITY, New Delhi, India
Master of Technology, Computer Science and Engineering, 2003
RASHTREEYA VIDYALAYA COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, Bangalore, India
Bachelor of Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Electronics, 2000